The Educational Partnership Program enables a variety of institutions, community organizations, and businesses to be involved with schools. Encourage the company you work for to get involved!
Activities can include:
- helping students understand the realities of the working world through educational partnerships
- sharing time, talent, and expertise with students
- participating in job shadowing projects
- sharing professional and personal experiences with students (i.e. career days)
- becoming a volunteer at a school
The Edmonton Northern Lights Rotary Club has partnered with York Academic Elementary School and the York students are the winners!
Each week, we have guest readers from the rotary club spend time reading with students. They read with all grades either one on one or in groups of students. We are very pleased to have these committed individuals take time out of their busy lives to assist our students with reading and encourage them to be the best they can be. Their support for public education is truly valued.
Our students benefit from the opportunities to read to or with one of these great volunteers. York School staff and students look forward to their Rotary Readers who come and work with our children.
These readers are members of the Edmonton Northern Lights Rotary Club who donate their time to read to our students before heading to work during the school year. Some of our Rotarian Readers have volunteered in our school for several years.
Children who are struggling readers need consistency and plenty of one on one reading time to practice their skills. The work of the Edmonton Northern Lights Rotary Club members has assisted the classroom teacher in giving these children this "extra" time. The patience and good role modeling of reading for enjoyment presented by these Rotarians motivate the children to try harder. The children want to return the gift of caring, so they practice in order to read better for the Rotarians.
North East Child Care Society
Out Of School Care & Kindergarten
Location: York Elementary School
Phone #: 780-475-0819
- Not For Profit Society
- Parent & Board Operated
- Hours of Operation: Mon - Fri - 7:00 a.m. to 5:45
- Open door policy
- Children's interest program planning
- Qualified and experience staff
- Government subsidy available
- Parent and community suggestions are valued